Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The last brewmaster now collects beer memorabilia | lacrosstribune.com

La Crosse's last Heileman brewmaster now collects beer memorabilia:
"the last Heileman brewmaster, and that makes Randy Hughes a part of history. That's one of the reasons that Hughes, now brewmaster for City Brewery, is such an avid collector of breweriana.
That's all things beer - steins, cans, bottles, trays, openers, signs, coasters and more."


"I wish I'd been a little more aware of the long and deep history of the place when I started here. There were guys still working here who had started in the '30s." By the time Hughes got interested, they were retired. And by the time he became a serious collector, much of the best stuff had already been snapped up. "I wish I would have paid a little more attention," he said. "It got a lot more serious for me when I realized I was a piece of collecting history myself. I'm the last Heileman brewmaster in La Crosse. I like the history behind it."
He's paying attention now and is always on the lookout for old metal advertising signs from pre-Prohibition. "You've got to specialize," he said. Otherwise, it's overwhelming. So he's focused on all the brands his own company has brewed and anything local, such as Gund memorabilia.


Related articles
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...